Tuesday, August 7, 2018

The Future of Schools

It seems like change is a constant in the field of education with new ideas and ways of learning constantly being brought forward or recycled in the classroom. The leap forward in technology (both hardware and software) has also created a number of changes in the classroom for instructors and learners. It often makes me wonder what the future of schooling will look like. There are a number of ideas that have been presented.



Vintage Classroom Structure - Picture courtesy of Wikimedia Commons


In this September 2017 article by CNN entitled Are these the schools of the future, there are a few ideas and concepts that are put forward. One of these is the portfolio school which focuses on project-based learning and integrating technology into the mix of guided choice and personalized education. The use of an interdisciplinary model is a key component to their model and the idea of balance in life (school/home, work/play) is also a piece of the puzzle.


Future Schools Imagined Using the Essential Fluency of Learning is an October 2017 article by Lee Watanabe-Crockett does an excellent job of describing some of the changes we are seeing in education. One key idea that really resonated with me is "The best piece of classroom technology available is, and always will be, a teacher." The idea is that technology should augment education and the interpersonal relationship is still key to learning. Other key concepts presented include; self-motivation, problem-solving, creativity, collaboration, digital media, and information fluency. The focus of these schools is to create a citizen who can become a part of their community and be productive in a future workplace.

Concept Classroom


My favorite idea was the open school concept that I first learned about in an article I read a few years back. Unfortunately, I do not remember the article name or publisher, but if my memory serves me correctly the trial school was in New York state. In this conceptual school, the doors open at 6:00 AM and close at 6:00 PM with students expected to attend 6.5 hours of school each day. The school uses an automated check-in and check-out system and the daily schedule is flexible and based on student choice or interest. This means that the student decides when they would like to do math or history or language arts. They still need to "attend" each class on a daily basis but there isn't a daily schedule set by the school itself. 

This model is heavily dependent upon technology, as the student must keep track of their short term and long term learning goals through a management software. The open class concept means that the instructor has posted the content and learning expectations with the student expected to engage with the learning - it reminds me of the constructivist theory in this aspect. The student is required to give summative evidence of learning, but they have a considerable amount of choice on how they want to accomplish this. The physical space is also an open concept with traditional settings (tables, chairs, workspaces) and non-traditional settings (couches, bean bags, etc.) available to students. The instructors work in shifts to provide support to students who need help and the school focuses on having teachers who are highly qualified in specific content areas there at all times. Each teacher also has a cohort of students that they are responsible for monitoring with weekly advisory times where the student and teacher meet one on one for some discussion time. This model is really focused towards middle school or high school learners as there is a considerable amount of personal responsibility involved.

If you have time, PBS produced an interesting Nova show about the future of schools that gives some ideas for anyone involved in education to ponder. It runs a little under two hours but is very informative. The video can be viewed here.

12 comments:

  1. The flexible learning space sounds really interesting! It reminds me of Johnston College, a subset of a local university where a friend studied. She took some of the most unusual courses, but it was similar to independent study, with support from teachers. I remember she was making a mosaic table for one of her classes, an Egyptian or Greek art class, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check out the college you mentioned - sounds like some project based learning was going on.

      Delete
  2. I think this school platform sounds fabulous! I am realizing more and more each day that this younger generation are not very happy being trapped. The old tradiitonal routines are not as enticing to them. It is almost like they need to learn and collaborate "in shifts" if you will. They like connecting on different platforms and learning things worldwide (socially). I know we cannot lose site of our history and a basic 3-R education. But, it would be great to integrate it all together some way. It makes me think of royalty thoughout history. They were social, they were planning battles, studying literature, having meals where they discussed so many subjects, and family trees. :) I think it would be wonderful to "work in shifts" as you stated in your blog. The different interactions alone would be interesting and stimulate different learning dynamics. Education is changing so much right now. I just keep wondering what is going to happen.
    Great post!
    Thank you for sharing!
    Philomena :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bring up an interesting point regarding the way royalty is/was educated. I'm definitely keeping my eyes and ears open for more about this subject.

      Delete
  3. This is an interesting concept. I tried to envision this for my own high school aged daughter. I'm not sure this would be a perfect fit for her as at this point she needs the structure of a traditional school. It would be interesting to hear from the teachers as well as the students as to their likes and dislikes of such an approach. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't really heard any results yet, but am very curious. I think it takes a considerable amount of self-responsibility to make this work. It also reminds me a little of distance learning format in some ways.

      Delete
  4. I think it will be really interesting to see what education looks like in 10-20 years. I hope we continue to find ways to make school engaging for students. I love the idea of project based learning being incorporated more. Like Geri, my daughter would not do well in a flexibly working environment. I can see charter schools being developed with that concept, but it would be challenging to push it out mainstream. But I hope we continue to make progress in education.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber - I agree that student engagement is key. I think the flexible learning is something that students would have to adjust to, but it is most like the real world where your employer expects you to perform tasks as assigned. I think my biggest concern is that these learners are too young to really be able to work independently all the time. It is something that needs more research and structure.

      Delete
  5. This is interesting to think about. I have often wondered what education would be like without the technological advances we have had in the last few decades. I haven't spent much time thinking how it will change in the future. I started my first day of kindergarten 20 years ago in 1998 (I'm a baby, I know.) But to think how things have changed since I was a kid, it's remarkable. My own second grade students take regular classroom tests online! I would not be surprised if the future of education holds more flexible options for parents and students. When students have more choice in their education, they tend to take more ownership over it. I think that project based learning would be great for the future of education. Students would be able to apply the skills they've learned on projects that are meaningful to them.
    I'm glad you shared this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avery - Thanks for the reply! Education is much different now than it was twenty years ago (you made me feel old - I graduated high school in 1998). I think meeting the needs of the individual is something that should come into play more often as we have the ability to really engage specific learners with technology. I do worry that some people may see the role of a teacher as tech support or classroom management only - the teacher is still a key component to student success and new training/professional education will really be the key to making the changes work.

      Delete
  6. This open school concept is definitely interesting and one that I believe would work well for highly motivated students. I think it would be difficult to move to this model for students that struggle and are less self aware of their needs. Currently I am more impartial to the problem-based learning type set up of a school since it is more inclusive to a variety of learners. Although with any model, some students will be more successful than others. So as a teacher you need to adjust the model to help all students succeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the open school requires a high level of motivation and would definitely not be a great fit for everyone. I wonder if the best option is multiple options - open, traditional, etc. I've been running project based learning more and more as I grew in comfort level with it over the last few years. My engineering and robotics classes are both completely student project based now. I had a harder time integrating it into my ELA classes, but am gaining ground on it - using blog activities as an example.

      Delete