Monday, July 30, 2018

What's a Grognard?

Grognard (noun)

     1. an old soldier
     2. A soldier of the original imperial guard that was created by Napoleon I in 1804 and that made the final French charge at Waterloo. 
     3. (games, slang) Someone who enjoys playing older wargames or roleplaying games, or older versions of such games, when newer ones are available.

From the French word grogner which means to grunt or grumble.

Well, I'm getting older but I'm definitely not that old. The third definition holds the key to this blog post. I'm one of a small percentage of Americans (it has a larger following and is more common in England and many European countries) that engages in the hobby of tabletop wargaming. Many people play games like Battlefront or Call of Duty and call themselves wargamers, but that's not what we're talking about here. When I try to explain what I do, people have a difficult time understanding what I mean, so I usually try to add pictures. Often, I simply give the answer...its like really detailed and convoluted chess. Sometimes it makes me nervous to share my hobby because I'm not sure how people will react to it.

We spotted this M7 Priest a few years ago and my son had to have his picture taken with it...wonder who he takes after.
Even within the small tabletop gaming community, I tend to stick with an even more specific genre and am known as a historical tabletop wargamer. This means my focus isn't on wizards, elves, space marines, or dragons. I focus on recreating real or realistic battles to simulate outcomes with or without changes to the variables. I've always been interested in history and specifically military history from an early age. I've read hundreds of books, my favorites are usually the individual stories of the soldiers. Just to be clear, I do not glorify warfare, but study it and celebrate those who served and sacrificed.

A large part of the hobby is the artistic component, where the gamer creates the game table through a variety of means and paints miniature models of soldiers and vehicles to use during gameplay. Often, when you purchase miniatures they are bare metal or plastic pieces that must be assembled. After that, you prime the miniature, give it color through paint, shade, drybrush, and finally base the miniature. It is quite the process. I started doing this when I was twelve years old and have finished thousands and thousands of figures in my time. Hopefully, some of my passion for this hobby is evident in my words, but I'll show a few more pictures to help you visualize just what this means.

From a WWII scenario a few years ago.

A shot from the woods of a German anti-tank gun.

Another shot showing part of a town and some woods with an ambush.

 Almost everything you see in the pictures from the ground up (literally) has been created and built by myself. The models are all vehicles and figures that I have painted. For reference, my infantry figures are 10mm tall - there are larger and smaller scales out there, but that's another post for another day. Needless to say, attention to detail and precision are key!


10 comments:

  1. This is amazing! I have never heard of the word grognard until now. This is a very unique hobby that you have. How does the game play work? And another question, what do you do with all of your figurines and game pieces when you're not playing a game? I could seriously ask you so many questions about this because I find it intriguing. You said that you started doing this when you were twelve years old. What got you into this type of tabletop war gaming?
    Thanks for sharing this bit of your life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avery - There are actually a variety of rule sets that allow for game play, there is a bit of math and a bit of chance involved for most of them with dice rolling being the main way that results are achieved. I keep my figures in a variety of places when not playing a game - some of my favorites are displayed in a glass bookcase in my office, some are carefully packed away in foam inside of boxes, and my really small miniatures (1/600 scale) I keep in plastic boxes with dividers. My introduction to the hobby came about as a result of a school project! I was creating a diorama of the Battle at Little Round Top from the American Civil War and needed some little plastic figures. My dad drove me to a place called Bridgetown Hobbies (sadly closed now) in Portland, Oregon where I grew up. On that Saturday there was an American Civil War game being played with hundreds of figures on each side. I pretty much stood there with my jaw wide open watching these guys move figures and roll for results. We started asking questions - luckily they were super nice gentleman and even let me play around a little bit during their game. I was hooked after that!

      Delete
  2. Wow! I agree with Avery-this is amazing! Do you keep your figurines and pieces set up all the time? This kind of reminded me of train set collectors and the little worlds they create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't keep them all set up, but part of the fun is creating new terrain to play through all the time. It is a little like the model train hobby - oddly enough I use some of the same stuff (trees, bridges, etc.) that they do as the scale of my figures is right around the standard n-scale for that hobby.

      Delete
  3. Wow! That is awesome! And you can see all the passion that you put into this! Do you ever go to or participate in reenactments?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Live reenactments are super cool, I've been to a few by the dressing up and acting out are not really my thing. I think my favorite part of the games is the strategy and tactics that are involved.

      Delete
  4. You are very talented! It must take a lot of patience and time to build all of that. Do you have a room you set up in? The house we just bought had a room set up similar to what you have. I am "old school" too and enjoy board games vs. video games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I gave up my hobby room when we had my daughter a few years back. I have a little section in the house and some garage space, but we're getting ready to find something a little bigger for our family and the dedicated hobby space is something I have on my want list.

      Delete
  5. These pictures show amazing details. I had no idea what table top wargaming was all about. This seems to take a lot of time, dedication and passion. Are there younger gamers that are part of the community? I this considered roll playing game? Are the battles only recreations of previous historical battles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It certainly is a pretty obscure hobby! There are younger gamers in the community, you will see more of them with games like Warhammer 40K or fantasy type games. There are some games in the genre that would qualify as an RPG, but I'm not really into those as much. The battles are recreations (modified or unmodified) to simulate or sometimes we do "what-if" type battles (Cold War for instance).

    ReplyDelete