Sunday, July 22, 2018

When Leadership Takes the Wrong Path No One Survives

Allow me to introduce today's guest blogger - Dr. Nancy Larsen. Dr. Larsen is currently the superintendent of Kellogg Public School District #391 in the Silver Valley of North Idaho. She has a wealth of experience in a number of roles and is a former Idaho State Teacher of the Year (2000).



Keeping one’s head low so an employee doesn’t become the next target is a sign of leadership gone awry. When team members watch others be demeaned and wish they had the ability to change it, but don’t because it puts their job or livelihood in jeopardy, the system is broken. When a revolving door describes the in and out of people to the system, there’s a desperate need for a change. So, how does it get this bad?

No one goes into leadership wanting to be a failure; however, most individuals are not prepared to become a true leader and resort to being a manager. A leader inspires the desire for team members to want to perform because they admire and respect the person at the helm—leadership is based upon nurturing the human interactions within the system on a daily basis. On the other hand, a manager, believes themselves to be the most important part of the system and maintaining one’s ego becomes the first priority instead not ever experiencing the results of nurturing team members; any results are based upon fear and anxiety.

Of those organizations of which I have most felt a productive and satisfied member, I find my well-being and membership within the group as one to which I want to contribute—the desire to work and accomplish is deep. Of those organizations of which I have most felt disjointed from the group and marginalized, I find my feelings are those of dejection and desire to leave it behind. In both cases, the leadership has inspired my attitudes and thoughts.

There is a natural tendency in some individuals to become inspiring leaders, some are born with this talent; however, leaders can also be made. With mentoring, training, and patience leaders can emerge. More time needs to be spent analyzing those qualities which inspire and build up others so emulation can occur. Ongoing mentoring and feedback can refine and cultivate the person at the helm to create environments that perpetuate the desire to be part of a team; to create systems where people stay and want to be there; and, eventually, environments which are sought out by individuals who admire the work from afar.

Let’s not rush this…developing true leadership is worth the time it takes.

13 comments:

  1. Such a great post and one that all leaders should read. Having worked both in and out of education, it's an issue that I've seen in both. Good leaders, and I mean the really good ones, can completely change the culture within the workplace. I think principals need amazing professional development to help them foster a nurturing environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber - teaching was my second career so I have experience with leadership outside of education as well and I completely agree that the really good (and unfortunately really bad) leaders make a huge impact on the culture of the workplace.

      Delete
  2. Great prospective! I agree with you that leadership inspires ones attitude and thoughts. I feel great leaders are those who understand the workplace and the employees whether in business or in the education field. These leaders will lend a hand or an ear, to show their employees their dedication and desire to make positive changes. The example they set can be a powerful inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leading by example is something that cannot be ignored. I've always had more respect for a leader that pitches in to get things done.

      Delete
  3. My first year was also my principal's first year at our school. I have heard how different the climate of the school is now that he is in leadership (for the better). It is one of the reasons I drive 45 minutes to work instead of seeking out employment near by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I've worked for exemplary leaders in the past, there is a noticeably different attitude towards employment in that building. There are definitely leaders who inspire us and that we want to follow.

      Delete
  4. Wow! Thank you for this! I have seen the opposite extremes of leadership, and I agree with everything that you say here. Thank you for your perspective and words of wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa,
      This reminds me of our leadership class so much! It is so inspiring to know that there are leaders that ACTUALLY formulate the aspirations of the leadership models we learned so much about from that leadership class. With that thought in mind, it is encouraging to read this awesome post!
      Philomena :)

      Delete
    2. I'll pass on your comments!

      Delete
  5. Dr. Larsen is an awesome example of exceptional leadership!!! As I read this post, I am reminded of qualities of transformational and servant leadership! True leadership is leading by example and as I have completed my 25th year of teaching last spring....I realize that most administrators I have any true respect for fall within thee characteristics of transformational and servat leadership. The leaders that I find most effective are the ones who communicate clear and research-based goals and communicate the goals and aspirations with ALL followers equally. I love that this post includes the hope that leadership can be learned through time, growth, mentoring, patience, etc.
    Thank you for sharing this post! What a great idea!
    Philomena :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent points towards the idea presented by Dr. Larsen. I agree with what you say wholeheartedly.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for this post. It is really important to develop good leadership qualities. It is a scary thing for an employee to come to work scared of retaliation of a principal, and not feeling like they can be themselves. A good leader is not a bully or demeaning. Thank you for the reminder of how important good leadership is, and how it can be grown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - creating a toxic environment for the employees will only lead to negative outcomes.

      Delete